Not really been the weekend for restoration works!! But most of the lower cockpit gelcoat has been chipped out now and the under surface is really good no cracks or the like, so should be a quick clean up and then re-coat.
This weekend attention turned to the mast, as I have said before we have been sailing the dinghy all summer and I had noticed the rigging was getting passed it use by date, also the main sheet up haul was emmmm howed can we say getting harder to up haul!, so I thought a quick check is needed, new rigging has been brought and installed, now this sounds easy well it was but and here’s the but
I found out why the up haul was stiff to say the least, the mast when it came had no mast head button / cover and I had noticed that after sailing when the rigging was wet they seamed to be easy to use, warning signs
and I should have not ignored them, in taking out the old rigging I pulled in draw strings for the new and here's where I found the problem, a mouse had built its home in me mast ! Right in the middle, soon sorted that out, flushed it all out with a water hose.
I checked all the sheaves and blocks for free operation, washed them down and applied ptfe lubricant to the bearings. All that’s need now is a new mast head button / cover, friend of mine is a turner and he’s going to knock one up for me. Also I’ve made a mast bag from a cheap tarp, brought from the local builder’s merchants, and duck tape. No more animal homing!
Even more exciting news is that I have found the company that built my little dingy and what’s more they are still trading! Details as follows for all you Express dinghy sailors:-
Anglo Marine Services Essex Limited
Wade Road, Gorse Lane Industrial Estate, Clacton-on-Sea, Essex CO15 4LT
Tel: +44 (0) 1255 420717 Fax: +44 (0) 1255 426310
They have a web page http://www.aavx76.dial.pipex.com/index.shtml
and the company history makes very interesting reading, needless to say an e-mail has gone off today and I hope a real useful contact can be made.
So progress has been made, just the problems with the hull dings to sort then the colour change.
Next report this coming weekend, with I hope good news form Anglo Marine.